Early Texas gristmill, constructed in 1860 by Charles Barnard, a block off the historic town square. The first permanent structure in this area, the original mill was a three story building constructed of stone and built like a fort to withstand Indian attacks. For years, town social events were held on the third floor. A cotton gin annex was added in 1895. In the 1940’s a one-story hospital wing was built and a second story added to the existing cotton gin annex.
Today, the three story mill building and cotton gin annex are open for tours. The hospital wing added in the 1940’s today houses the Barnard’s Mill Art Museum.
The museum has a few interesting pieces of art on display; among them bronze and oil paintings by Robert Summers. The work of Morris Henry Hobbs and Amy Jackson are also well represented. The old mill is now open for touring. Not much remains of the milling equipment, dam, or millrace but the buildings and grounds are interesting.
The Barnard’s Mill complex is worth a look.
307 SW Barnard Street
Glen Rose, TX 76043
Within walking distance from the courthouse and town square. They now have a web site.
For more information about the Glen Rose area see our Glen Rose Texas Guide.